Casper Army Air Field
Located outside of Casper, Wyoming and now known as Natrona County International Airport, the former Casper Army Air Base exists in some form, as it did during its operation in WW II The Casper Army Air Field is one of only four World War II military installations constructed in Wyoming. The Base was activated on September 1, 1942. Over 400 buildings were built during a 3 1/2 month construction period. It was occupied by the 211th Army Air Force Base Unit, consisting of 21 officers and 165 enlisted men, whose mission was to operate the base and train bomb groups for overseas assignment and individual replacement bombardment combat crews. During its 30 months of active life, the Base trained an estimated 16,000 combat crew members. The Base was officially deactivated on March 7, 1945 and personnel were transferred to other bases. In 1949, the former military air field became the Natrona County Municipal Airport and the land and all buildings became county property. Approximately 100 of the original buildings that constituted the Casper Army Air Base, along with the original street layout, parade grounds, and concrete pads for many of the former buildings, still remain. This former base was also listed on the National Register of Historic Places on August 3, 2001.
[ Back To Casper AAF ] [ Back To Wyoming ] [ Back To Home Page ]